World War II Chocolate Cake
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Blossom Raspberry Vinegar
- Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly and place in an 8 X 8-inch baking pan.
- Add oil, vinegar, and vanilla in three wells in the dry mix.
- Pour water over all and mix well with a fork.
- Bake at 350º for 30 minutes.
- Serve plain or with powdered-sugar frosting
Note: During the Great Depression and the years that followed, vinegar became a popular substitute for scarce ingredients. In this recipe, it acts as a leavening agent.